Friday, June 29, 2018

HELSINKI, FINLAND

June 28, 2018

It's my Birthday!  And I'm celebrating it here in Finland.  How about that?!  Again, the weather has cooperated.  Although we only had a taste of the city, I don't think I will add it to my list of cities to see again.  The streets are narrow and the entire centre city streets are cobblestoned.  We did take a Hop-on-Hop-off bus through the city.  There were a total of 22 stops but I think some of these stops were a stretch as far as offering anything worthwhile seeing.


The Temppeliaukio Church (or Rock Church as it is more commonly known) is an exception.  This unique church is built into the bedrock.  Services are held here regularly and it is a very popular place for weddings.











One of the most photographed sites is the Helsinki Cathedral in Senate Square with its large green dome surrounded by four smaller domes.  The cathedral is unmissable and the main green dome can be viewed from around the city.  It was built during Russian rule as a tribute to Czar Nicholas I.


There was a lovely open air market on the waterfront offering fresh produce and handicrafts.  We certainly enjoyed walking around checking everything out.







No comments:

Post a Comment